Saturday, May 13, 2006

Here I go again.

I'm a-tell you a story.

About 10 years ago, when I first started making some money, I got into Home Theatre stuff. After all, I had been (still am) a film geek, and the progression seemed natural. So, being the geek I am, I began to research things...what TV? What speakers? That sorta stuff.

My main source of joy in those days was a magazine called Home Theater Technology and my favorite writer thereat a truly hilarious, gifted writer named Corey Greenberg. His reviews of gear were generally dead-on (my BiL dropped major bank on a Martin-Logan 5.1 speaker setup on CG's say-so) but, basically he was/is a really, really funny writer.

In those days HTT (now it's just HT, but whatever) ran a column called "Gee-Gawd" about small but useful gadgets, and, um, gee-gaws, which I loved. So I rummage online to see if these might be available anywhere (they don't seem to be) and that led me to find that CG has neatly moved over from HT guru to shave guru.

The combination of my own vanity and my delight in reading hilarious prose have allowed my inner geek to embrace the wetshaving perspective on men's grooming. To quote the lovely and gracious Poppy, "I mean, there's nothing we geeks like better than having to master an entirely new world of arcane knowledge with its own aesthetic."

I wasn't a complete nimrod, shave-wise. I have a shave mug with shave soap and a for-real badger brush; I can actually get a great shave with a straight razor...but with two little kids running around, having something that is closer to a surgical implement than a grooming device may be seen as unwise by some. Like, say, my wife. I even have an old Gillette Adjustable Safety Razor hand-me-down.

To me, where a geek blossoms is in knowing a steal. I mean, any idiot can rave about a new Ferrari F430...only the cognoscenti can wax lyrical on an Alfa Romeo TZ. Same with, say, shaving. It takes no special genius to point out the most expensive of something, but it requires talent to find the hidden gems.

So here I am, comparing shaving creams, razors. Determining what setting on the Gillette Adjustable corresponds with which blade (the Euro Gillette blades are a 5, the Israeli Personna a 7), how to maximize lather and all that good stuff.

SO MUCH TO LEARN AND OBSESS ABOUT!

-J.

3 Comments:

Blogger kelsci said...

I'll stick to the home theater. Shaving to me is something I do when that "FRED FLINTSTONE" beard of my own begins to annoy me. I just rub a bar of soap into my beard and shave with a bic razor. I also own some kind of Braun electric razor that works quite well for my beard. My hometheater blog is http://www.kelsci3.blogspot.com.

1:45 PM  
Blogger kelsci said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have had read stuff from Corey Greenburg. I do like him.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Joke said...

Alas, my professional life won't permit me to go unshaven. If I tried the soap-Bic thing I'd look like I lost--or it was a tie, at best--a knife fight.

-J.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home