Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Review of ALFA ROMEO 8C COMPETIZIONE: Only a concept?

Originally submitted at Autoweek.com

Only a cruel man, versed in wheelmanship, would have built a blind left-hand corner as tough as this one. A tall Armco wall blocks the sightline of the apex curb, and you can't see the sweeping right-hander you'll have to negotiate almost immediately by flicking the car the other way, but that's ha...


Think it through.

By JokeIII from miami, fl on 11/29/2007

 

4out of 5

Pros: Engaging, Easy To Understand

Cons: Lacks Information

Best Uses: Casual Reading, Staying Informed

Some things we need to understand:

This car was sold out wa-a-a-ay before anyone had even hinted at its driving characteristics, i.e. it was sold out on its looks alone.

At a quarter mill. a pop, it means it's going in the garages of people who know a thing or two about making a buck, so it's going there for a reason. Clearly that reason is not performance (by my reasoning, a 4.7L version of the corporate V8 could easily put out 550hp) which is very, very good, albeit probably the slowest sports car in price bracket. As near as I can figure it, it's merely a somewhat lighter/more powerful/prettier version of the outgoing Maserati Coupe. Instead, the reason it has been sold out is collectibility...again, based on looks alone.

Put it this way, 500 have sold and, even if I had the cash to spare without selling off one of my kids, I wouldn't know where to sign up for one. Alfa Romeo does not care AT ALL what normal people think of this car. (They would have offered it with a proper gearbox if they did.)

In sum: This car is nothing more than fanfare and halo effect for its "real cars" with which it has exactly nothing in common. It's purpose is only to get people talking excitedly about Alfa Romeo cars. That's it.

Don't think of it as a car, think of it as an ad campaign with wheels and an engine.

(legalese)

2 Comments:

Blogger adam brown said...

Hi, this is not so related to your page, but it is the site you asked me 1 month ago about the abs diet. I tried it, worked well. Well here is the site

3:17 PM  
Blogger barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home