Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tiki Month, we meet again.

Helping out the estimable Doug Winship with an original Tiki cocktail creation. The "Stationery" format will resume shortly.

OK.

This is likely to get me demerits from the Serious Bartender's Guild.

The SBG does not really care for sweet drinks. This is a sweet drink.

This is something I devised for when I am entertaining in Tiki mode and needed something that would please, er, the...uh...how shall I put it? Something that -- AHEM -- 51% of my guests would enjoy, ifyaknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.

The 51%ers I run into don't, as a rule, like rich and funky rums, and balanced spices. (There are exceptions, natch...and they are to be cherished and treasured.)

They like fruity and sweet.

While this is sweet, it's not cloying. But, to save my reputation among Nature's Noble Aristocracy (i.e. cocktailians) I have a 49%er version. See what thinkest thou.

AKU-KAPO COOLER
¼ oz grenadine (either this or the real DIY stuff, not that luridly flourescent dreck from the supermarket)
1 oz passion fruit pulp (thawed, I prefer Goya)
½ oz orgeat (again, either this or the real DIY stuff)
1 oz aged rum (Doorly's XO, Chairman's Reserve or Dos Maderas 5+5. Rhum Barbancourt* would also be stellar, but use whatever your tastes direct. Even — in contrast to its more mass-market appealing products — Bacardi 8 works great here.)
1 oz white rum (I prefer Flor de Caña 4 Year White here, but even 10 Cane or Cruzan would work)
½ oz coconut rum (for floating…again, I prefer Cruzan)
dried, toasted coconut flakes (the tiny, granular flakes, not the big ol' shreds...sorry, Comrade Winship) for rimming the glass

Shake with cracked ice and serve in a “chimney” glass, floating the coconut rum at the end.

-J.

* Which, if Haiti were still part of France instead of an independent republic, would be an agricole.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiare said...

That drink looks good...i`m pondering doing a twist of it on my blog:-)if i do i will also post the original recipe and link to your site like i always do.

1:35 PM  
Blogger JMG said...

You are to be put on a pedestal, with velvet ropes around you that small children may admire you. ;-)

PS No idea what Doug is saying about the coconut rim. I think he is using the large flakes and not the smaller, finer ones.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Tiare said...

Lmao! i told Doug that coconut rim is cool!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home