Sunday, March 02, 2014

Michael Mattis, 1964-2014.

I've just gotten the horrible news my pal Michael Mattis died unexpectedly last night.

Michael was a bon vivant of whom Wodehouse would have been proud. A character, in the brightest and noblest sense of the word.

Besides all of the boulevardier-ness for which he was justifiably famous, he was also a quietly kind and generous man, on whom I could (and did) count when I had blundered. His advice, counsel and assistance to me were crucial at that time and, like the lion with the thorn in the paw, such kindness has and will not be forgotten.

I had wished to catch up with him on his recent trip here to Florida, but we never managed to square away our respective schedules. (OK, my schedule.) And now I'll have to wait until we're both on the other side.

I cannot express my sadness and shock and the depths to which I will miss him. Rest well, my friend.

Requiem æternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger mariangela urquizo said...

Hello,

Ive been putting something together with a few people and saw this picture of him, is it okay to get a copy of it?

Mariangela Urquizo

2:36 AM  
Blogger mariangela urquizo said...

Hello,

Ive been putting something together with a few people and saw this picture of him, is it okay to get a copy of it?

Mariangela Urquizo

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home